Adaptec RAID cards

Michael Conlen meconlen at obfuscated.net
Sun May 2 19:27:53 PDT 2004

I've got a Supermicro P4 Xeon server with an onboard Adaptec SCSI
controller and a 0 channel RAID adapter with one array, plus a 2200S
dual channel RAID controller with a second array.

FreeBSD 4.9 doesn't find any disks on the system at all. Neither the
asr or aac drivers come up during boot. FreeBSD 5.1 does find both sets
of disks. If I pull the 2200S and boot FreeBSD 4.9 the asr driver finds
the 0 channel controller and array and installs fine. I've tried the
2200S without the 0 channel adapter and neither disk controller driver
loads.

Any idea why a 2200S would cause the kernel not to see either disk
controller in 4.9 but work fine in semi recent versions of 5? In all
instances the adapter BIOS loads and works properly.

--
Michael Conlen