READ_BIG errors continue, atapi-cd driver updates?

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Sun May 2 11:25:23 PDT 2004

When copying data from a CD burned on my Windows machine, I see lots of
errors like the ones at the end of this message continue to pop up in
dmesg.

I saw these on my old machine as well, but was surprised when I continued
to see them on my new machine.

I saw some references to similar errors in other freebsd mailing lists and
there was mention of a patch to atapi-cd.c that worked well for some
people, but the patch for atapi-cd.c doesn't seem to match up with the
atapi-cd.c on my machine.  Has this patch been integrated into the
stock 5.2.1 distribution?  More about the patch in question may be found
at the URL below:

www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/freebsd-stable/msg02702.html

This machine is running freebsd 5.2.1 - several parts have been
portupgrade'd since the initial OS install.

I have a lot of data to move onto this machine, most of it is currently
stored on burned CDs, so I really need to find a solution to this problem.

jms

vm_fault: pager read error, pid 80512 (cp)
vm_fault: pager read error, pid 80512 (cp)
vm_fault: pager read error, pid 80512 (cp)
acd1: FAILURE - READ_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> sensekey=MEDIUM ERROR
error=4<ABORTED>
vm_fault: pager read error, pid 80527 (cp)