'Partial' X upgrade, now locked out of X server

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at logicsquad.net
Tue Mar 30 21:52:19 PST 2004

Hello,

It looks like I have upgraded parts of XFree86 while installing some
other ports, and I now seem unable to make even local connections to
my X server.  I must admit, X is something I set up years ago on this
machine, and have just set and forgot---as such, I do not even have a
good appreciation for what information might be useful for people to
help me debug this.

The machine was originally running one of the early 4.X releases, and
that is when X was installed.  It's now running 4.8.  The following
have been installed recently:

drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel       512 Feb 26 01:28 XFree86-clients-4.3.0_6/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel       512 Feb 26 01:29 XFree86-fontEncodings-4.3.0/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel       512 Feb 26 01:30 XFree86-fontScalable-4.3.0/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel       512 Mar 28 19:36 XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_6/

I usually login via xdm, started as root with 'xdm -nodaemon &'.  I am
currently unable to log in as a non-root user, and I get the following
in ~/.xsession-errors when I try:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
twm:  unable to open display ":0"

I presume this has something to do with access control, but I've never
needed to set up anything for local access before.

While I am keen to get suggestions on how to correct this access
control glitch, I would be happy to fully upgrade X if that's
recommended.  Somewhat embarrassingly, I'm not even sure how this
should be done---via ports?

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh at logicsquad.net