Why all my application giving me core dumped error?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Mar 30 02:12:07 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 10:58:13AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 05:45:11PM +0800, Suhaimi Jamalludin wrote:
>
> > I got some question regarding FreeBSD.
> > Today I just install FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE from CD. Then  I cvsup port-all
> > tag=. to the current one and complete the portupgrade -arR for update.
> > I want to setup LDAP+SAMBA3. Then I install all the required ports. Then
> > After I install samba-devel. my system going crazy it give me all these
> > core dumped error.
> >
> > A) Why this happen?
> > B) How to check what is wrong with my system?
> >
> > Can some body advice me...Please....
>
> Either you have hardware problems, or (and this seems to me more
> likely in this case) you chose the wrong time to pull down the
> 5-CURRENT sources.

Ooops.  I'm sorry -- I misread your e-mail.  You cvsuped ports to
HEAD, which is correct, and not the system as I seemed to have accused
you of doing.  Apologies.

I'm afraid that means the bad hardware theory is prime suspect.  It
does sound like you've blown a memory chip or some such.  You can try
running a few passes of memtest86 -- see http://www.memtest86.com/ --
which will confirm the failure if it finds anything wrong.  Swap out
memory sticks to see if you can isolate the problem.

What I said about 5-CURRENT and the various releases in my previous
messages is correct, but irrelevant.  However, once you've got your
system running stably again, do think about cvsup'ing and upgrading to
5.2.1-RELEASE-p4 (which you can do in a sing make buildworld cycle
from 5.2-RELEASE I should think, as they are both taken from the
RELENG_5_2 branch).  There have been some nasty security bugs
announced recently, and 5.2.1 was released in part because of some
nasty (non-security) bugs in 5.2.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way