Security Updates and Patching Two Choices?

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Mar 29 12:08:00 PST 2004

On Mar 29, 2004, at 2:28 PM, Sean Murphy wrote:
> I don't want to build "all" sources when I just need these on my
> system (bin, man, and crypto).  The same selection I use from a new
> install from /stand/sysinstall.  Is that possible?

If you look at /etc/default/make.conf for a bunch of components
starting with NO_, you can set those to get something close to what
you've asked for.

> It seem the "makeworld" process is the only way to keep the system
> patched.

Someone (Colin Percival?) has a binary updating system available for
FreeBSD which might be easier for you to use.

> If a tag just the 4_9 Release in the CVSupfile can i just ignore the
> mergemaster? also can I just CVSup the sources and build the ones I
> want? (see above)

Generally one can ignore doing the mergemaster simply for a security
patch.

Yes, you can use CVSup to update your local sources with the fix
instead of applying a patch by hand.  Using a tag of RELENG_4 (aka
STABLE) or RELENG_4_9 (aka security branch of 4.9) should be what you
want.

--
-Chuck