Problem with usb in FreeBSD 4.8 Help!!!!

jitendra pande jpande_techinfo at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 06:26:08 PST 2004

Hi All,

I have stuck with a problem with usb devices.

In case of FreeBSD 4.8, whenever a new USB device is attached to the
system, no device node is dynamically being created within the dev file
system.

This is in contrast to the behavior there with FreeBSD 5.0 where a new
device node is being  created on attaching a new USB device, Fox
example when first USB device is attached then /dev/ugen0 node is created
dynamically in dev file system. when 2nd device is added then /dev/ugen1
and so on .....ugen2, ugen3.......

On the other hand with freeBSD 4.8 there exist some static device node
/dev/ugen0, /dev/ugen0.x where x =1-16 within the /dev file system.

My application uses libusb for interacting with the usb
devices...libusb on freeBSD 4.8 tries to find /debv/ugen0, /dev/ugen1 and so
on....hence couldn't able to detect more then one device.

It would really be great if someone can help me in resolving the issue
Any idea why this changes in the behavior with  FreeBSD 4.8 and FreeBSD
5.0

My device is the one which supports control transfers only thus i understand that for a second device i need to use /dev/ugen1 and so on.

Does that mean, i need to explictly make a node /dev/ugen1 and /dev/ugen2 and so on for  every newly added USB device using MAKEDEV script.

Please advise me , if there exist some better way of handling the situation. Is there some sort of modification that i can make to libusb to handle the situation.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Jitendra