growfs on vinum volume

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 29 00:08:01 PST 2004

On Monday, 29 March 2004 at  9:37:39 +0200, Ludo Koren wrote:

> on 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3, I did:

> vinum create vinumgrow
>
> vinumgrow:
> drive d3 device /dev/da2s1h
> drive d4 device /dev/da3s1h
> sd name mirror.p0.s1 drive d3 plex mirror.p0 size 0
> sd name mirror.p1.s1 drive d4 plex mirror.p1 size 0
>
> after
>
> vinum -> start mirror.p0.s1
>
> and
>
> vinum -> start mirror.p1.s1
>
> I have
>
> vinum -> l
> D d1                    State: up       /dev/da1s1e     A: 0/15452 MB (0%)
> D rd1                   State: up       /dev/da1s1h     A: 0/1023 MB (0%)

You shouldn't have more than one drive per spindle.

> D d2                    State: up       /dev/da0s1f     A: 0/15452 MB (0%)
> D rd2                   State: up       /dev/da0s1h     A: 0/1023 MB (0%)

Ditto.

> D d3                    State: up       /dev/da2s1h     A: 0/70001 MB (0%)
> D d4                    State: up       /dev/da3s1h     A: 0/70001 MB (0%)
>
> 2 volumes:
> V mirror                State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         83 GB
>
> 4 plexes:
> P mirror.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:         83 GB
> P mirror.p1           C State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:         83 GB
>
> 6 subdisks:
> S mirror.p0.s0          State: up       D: d1           Size:         15 GB
> S mirror.p1.s0          State: up       D: d2           Size:         15 GB
> S mirror.p0.s1          State: up       D: d3           Size:         68 GB
> S mirror.p1.s1          State: up       D: d4           Size:         68 GB
> vinum ->
>
> which seems to be correct...
>
> Than I did
>
> growfs /dev/vinum/mirror

You've missed out some information.  May I assume that you had a valid
file system on the 15 GB volume mirror before you started this?

> It finished with the following error:
>
> growfs: bad inode number 1 to ginode
>
> I have searched the archives, but did not find any answer. Please,
> could you point to me what I did wrong?

You trusted growfs on 5.2.1 :-)

growfs is suffering from lack of love, and presumably you had a UFS 2
file system on the drive.  It's only recently been fixed for that, in
5-CURRENT.

What you do now depends on the state of the file system.  Hopefully
you still have the original contents.  In this case, you could get
hold of the version from -CURRENT, which should compile with no
problems, and try again.  It wouldn't do any harm to take down one of
the plexes so that you can recover if something goes wrong.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.