Vinum Subdisk Crashed - How To Repair?

Drew Tomlinson nojunk4me2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 21:53:44 PST 2004

Please excuse whatever format in which this email
arrives.  My system is unusable so I am posting from
Yahoo!.

I have a 4.9-RELEASE-p4 system.  I have not made any
changes to any source code.  I have 3 vinum volumes
configured.  While attempting to diagnose problems
with one of the volumes that uses a firewire drive, my
system crashed with a trap 12 error.  I have my /usr
configured as a striped vinum volume with one plex and
two subdisks.  Upon reboot, the usr volume has one
subdisk in a crashed state.  Thus I can't mount /usr
and can't get my system up and running.

I *REALLY* don't want to lose my data on /usr as I
don't have a backup.  It was my backup volume problems
I was looking at when my trouble started.  I have
looked at
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html.  I
have a copy of my config files and the page says one
can use those to recreate his config without losing
data as it does not write to the subdisks.  Is this
what I should do?  Should I do something else?

Please cc me on any replies as I am not able to
receive them via my subscription at the moment.

Thanks for your help!

Drew

-- begin output of data requested on vinumvm.org

I can not provide the extract of
/var/log/vinum_history or /var/log/messages as I
symlinked /var to /usr/var.

vinum -> list
4 drives:
D ftp1                  State: up       Device
/dev/ad0s1h      Avail: 76318/76319 MB (100%)
D ftp2                  State: up       Device
/dev/ad1s1h      Avail: 0/76319 MB (0%)
D disk1                 State: up       Device
/dev/da0s1h      Avail: 84701/8383 MB (1010%)
D disk2                 State: up       Device
/dev/da1s1h      Avail: 0/8383 MB (0%)
D *invalid*             State: referenced       Device
 Avail: 0/0 MB

3 volumes:
V usr                   State: up       Plexes:
1 Size:         16 GB
V ftp                   State: up       Plexes:
1 Size:        149 GB
V backup                State: down     Plexes:
1 Size:         74 GB

3 plexes:
P usr.p0              S State: corrupt  Subdisks:
2 Size:         16 GB
P ftp.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:
2 Size:        149 GB
P backup.p0           C State: faulty   Subdisks:
1 Size:         74 GB

5 subdisks:
S usr.p0.s0             State: up       PO:        0
B Size:       8383 MB
S usr.p0.s1             State: crashed  PO:      256
kB Size:       8383 MB
S ftp.p0.s0             State: up       PO:        0
B Size:         74 GB
S backup.p0.s0          State: crashed  PO:        0
B Size:         74 GB
S ftp.p0.s1             State: up       PO:       74
GB Size:         74 GB