harddisk problem and/or fsck problem?

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri Mar 26 14:09:40 PST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 01:02 pm, Richard Dawes wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:55:06AM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Friday 26 March 2004 10:06 am, Richard Dawes wrote:
> > > Greetings, fellow FreeBSD users!
> > >
> > > Everything so far works fine for me, until I drop into single-
> > > user mode to prep for making world.  Even then, it seems OK,
> > > except for this alarming output of "fsck -p":
> >
> > Well, you missed reading something because you are supposed to boot
> > -s into single user mode. Then, you don't have write access and the
> > fsck works.
> >
> > BTW, the whole point of booting into single user mode is to avoid a
> > bad kernel. When you drop into single user mode, you aren't testing
> > the new kernel.
> >
> > Kent
>
> Doh!  Yes, I guess I was reading too quickly.  And of course
> it makes sense that I'd not need to fsck and mount things if
> I just "drop" into single-user mode.
>
> But I wasn't yet testing a new kernel... I haven't yet made the
> buildworld target.  I see later on, though, where I'm supposed
> to boot -s  after installing a newly built kernel.

The sequence that is designed to keep your out of trouble is buildworld,
buildkernel, installkernel, boot -s, and installworld, followed by a
mergemaster.

There are times as the statfs change to current that would render your
system useless until you repair if if you do the installworld before
booting to the new kernel. The sequence is /usr/src/UPDATING is there
for a reason. You can change the order but if it breaks your system,
you could have to repair it using the fixit disk or re-install.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA