4.9 minimal install

lee slaughter lee at slaughters.com
Fri Mar 26 10:12:38 PST 2004

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

> lee slaughter wrote:
>
>> from mini cd, just for educational purposes.
>> this is known as the base distribution, right?
>> only 123MB.  what does one do next?  /usr/ports isn't even there.
>> there is no discussion in handbook.
>> thanks.
>

> This has been discussed rather extensively,
> on this list, over the past few days.

well, my recollection is that there are always many discussions on
installation.   there was recently a large thread on exactly what is ON the
mini CD, but there are so many permutations on installation.....

anyway, Troy Settle gave me what I wanted, which i posted
to group also.  maybe some other poor newcomer will be helped.

rant on..................
i'm not stupid but i've been trying to get a handle on both the
general installation philosophy AND the confiration management
(for FBSD)
since January sometime.
it is very difficult.

> What do you *want* to do?  What is your
> purpose for this box?

a.  to be a repository for my work stuff (java development, notes, ...)
b.  to learn
c.  mail, etc. usual stuff
d.  not a server

> I'm up for a while,