! why? [original emails enclosed: last post hopefully]

__Clint__ clint at acm.vt.edu
Thu Mar 25 11:20:11 PST 2004

> You're not a victim of SPAM, you're an attention seeker. Go and look for
> help with that issue on another list.

Considering that in 10 yrs I have only ever received human replies to 3 or
4 "abuse@<domain>", but have probably sent 200 or so, this was decidedly
not a ploy for attention.  I expected it to go to /dev/null, not some
mailing list full of unix folks with their typical tiresome unix-culture
attitudes (which usually include, but are not limited to: intellectual
elitism, scapegoating, and blaming the user for 100% of bad things that
happen to the user).

And as for "Another list" - I never knew my original post was going to a
list so it's not like i'm seeking attention by posting to a list.  Had I
known it was a list my email would have been phrased differently or, more
than likely, I would have simply not sent it.

The root of the problem is that my initial complaint DID in fact go to
/dev/null (in a sense).  I got back this response (below).  The
next-closest thing to abuse@ was questions at .  Notice how it does not
mention that any of these are mailing lists.

Also notice how the spam problem they mention is forged headers. My
problem is NOT mail forged to be crafted to look like it came from
freebsd.org. My spam was NOT marked as from freebsd.org.  What involves
freebsd.org is that they used clint+freebsddotorg at acm.vt.edu as my address
-- that is an address that I would only ever put into FreeBSD.org's hands
and look where it went.

I still don't believe for a second that this is due to me posting on any
public mail list.  FreeBSD's mail servers and/or lists of email addresses
were somehow comprimised.

I'm going to go ahead and CC the list (First time i've done this
intentionally) with my bounceback so you can all see what started this and
maybe have a deeper understanding rather than every one of you
individually privately mailing me.  I actually don't want the attention
and wish this would all go away, but when someone attacks me I make it a
point to always, always rebut.  So if no one responds, I'm done.

We've exchanged all the information we could, I've learned something
(barely), and any more discussion is really pointless bickering amongst
people who probably ALL thing spammers should be drawn and quartered.

I've included the original spammer's headers too, in case someone wants to
do anything about it.

email saga below, read from bottom to top