Probelms and Inconsistencies with Portupgrade

Aeefyu afu-subscribed-list at aeefyu.net
Wed Mar 24 18:01:53 PST 2004

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Aeefyu <afu-subscribed-list at aeefyu.net> writes:

>>I have reinstall manually portupgrade and ruby* (using make install
>>clean), rebuild INDEX with "portsdb -Uu" and "pkgdb -fu" or "pkgdb
>>-F". Even went to the extent of blowing my /usr/ports and cvsup all
>>over again. However, :
>>1. my /usr/ports/INDEX has the following as its first few lines:
>>*** Error code 1|||||||
>>Stop in /usr/ports/databases.|||||||
>>Stop in /usr/ports.||||||
>>
>>2. portsdb -Uu reports hundred of make_index error.
>>
>>So, as it is - i cant install new stuff via portupgrade "portinstall
>>-Rv <package>". I seem to be able to maintain it though
>>i.e. "portupgrade -Rv <package>". Anyone can shed light on this matter?
>>
>>I think it might be  related to my very very outdated
>>/var/db/pkg/*/CONTENT .. but its just a guess . I cant blow it and
>>start all over again, right? Too risky, this is a production machine.
>

> Right; don't do that.
>
> You're having trouble with building the INDEX file in the first place.
> Wait a while, re-cvsup, and re-run the "portsdb -Uu".

Have been cvsup-ing for couple of days with the same results.
/usr/ports/INDEX is updated correctly, but will have errors once I run
portsdb -Uu. As of yesterday, I am skipping the "portsdb -Uu" step after
cvsup-ing ports-all. This is NOT a correct behaviour for using
portugrade, right? But I would imagine this would be a better
alternative that having a /usr/ports/INDEX that has errors in it.
(/usr/ports/INDEX.db would correspondingly have errors too?)

Thanks

--
Feisal
Webcraft Solutions - http://www.webcraftsolutions.com