Transferral between two hard disks

Brunoc at quipo.it brunoc at quipo.it
Wed Mar 24 15:18:20 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----

> Hi community,
>
> I would like to transfer the contents of an hard disk
> partition,in which is installed FreeBSD (in another partition
> is installed NetBSD and another one is unused),to another hard disk.
> The recipient hard disk will have only FreeBSD,and is capable to get
> all the data from the original.
> I guess I would perform such operation in a way like
> disk image software for Windows (System Commander,
> Norton Ghost) does.I've seen on previous postings the use
> of command like 'dd' or 'ioctl',but I don't know if they
> are appropriate or not.
> In a few words,my goal is to have a bootable hard disk
> with my FreeBSD and data,like the original one,original one that
> I'm going to use for other purposes.
>
> FreeBSD seekingjob.singles.it 4.9-RC FreeBSD 4.9-RC #0: Wed Oct 15 00:12:26 CEST 2003     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CURRENT_WITH_WINE_OPTIONS  i386
> For complete information,even in the case you don't need it,
> I include the disklabel command output of my original
> FreeBSD disk:
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size       offset           fstype                   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   a:   163840        0             4.2BSD     1024  8192    16  # (Cyl.    0 - 10*)
>   b:   532480   163840      swap            # (Cyl.   10*- 46*)
>   c: 61432497        0          unused        0     0        # (Cyl.    0 - 4062*)
>   e: 60736177   696320    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16  # (Cyl.   46*- 4062*)
>
>  /dev/ad2s1e:
> type: ESDI
> disk: ad2s1
> label:
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 240
> sectors/cylinder: 15120
> cylinders: 4062
> sectors/unit: 61432497
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0  # milliseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0 # milliseconds
> drivedata: 0
> Thank you
> Bruno
>

> Does the NetBSD also need to be bootable?

> You really need to include the fdisk information too so we can see
> what the slices actually are - note you have a FreeBSD 'slice'
> not partition, in the FreeBSD world, and within that FreeBSD slice you
> have three partitions - a, b and e.   You say you also have a NetBSD slice
> and an unused slice, but don't show anything.   The fdisk output would
> at least show that.    do:
>             fdisk -v da0 > fdisk.out  or fdisk -v ad0 > fdisk.out
> Then include the contents of fdisk.out in the message.

> Unless the new disk is identical in every way to the old one, you don't
> want to bother with dd or any of the other so-called imaging utilities.
> [...]

Thank you very much for your valuable information.

The NetBSD slice does not need to be bootable,
I was playing with it and I have no significant data,
so I will eventually reinstall NetBSD or OpenBSD
from scratch on the first hard drive (the recipient).
Yes,my e partition mounts as /usr.
I'm going to include the fdisk information as soon
as I can boot again on my second hard disk (is an IDE one),
from which the FreeBSD slice is to be tranferred to the first
drive (another IDE).

Bruno

---
[Quipo ISP - Questa E-mail e' stata controllata dal programma Declude Virus]
[Quipo ISP - This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]