How To Upgrade to Perl 5.8 on 4.9 System?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Mar 24 10:48:02 PST 2004

On 3/24/2004 8:18 AM Joshua Lokken wrote:

>* Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> [2004-03-24 07:35]:

>>>Yes.

>>>Try:
>>>
>>>cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
>>>make install
>>>use.perl port
>>>

>>I also had to re-install some of my ports after installing the new Perl
>>and switching the system perl to the newer version (4.9-release-p3).
>>

>If you install sysutils/portupgrade, you can do (after
>installing the new Perl)
>
># portupgrade -rf perl

I tried this (adding the 'n') to see what portupgrade would find.  All
it found was 'perl5.8', yet I have webmin, spamassassin, and various
other things that use perl (AFAIK).  I changed the line to:

portupgrade -rRf 'p5*'

and if found lots of things.  It might be overkill but it should get
everything that needs rebuilding, correct?

Thanks for your help.

Drew