install: kernel config: NIC ?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Mar 24 10:04:44 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:09:38AM -0800, Joshua Lokken wrote:
> * lee slaughter <lee at slaughters.com> [2004-03-24 08:50]:
> > I'm trying to do a methodical install (for once).  4.9 from a mini CD.
> > 1st thing, when we get to kernel config  menu, visual mode,
> > no network devices show up active.  In the inactive drivers section
> > i see a little list of only six.
> >
> > question 1:  this is hardly a comprehensive list, is it?
> > there's no explanation in the handbook why it is so short.

Unfortunate perhaps.  These lists remain for legacy reasons.
You can delete everything listed and it'll still work, because
it's for real old hw.  Anything even relatively recent will
be automagically detected by the kernel, unless it's so
cheap, new or esoteric as to not be supported....

Kevin Kinsey