total newbee questions

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Mar 24 09:14:02 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:34:36AM -0400, kennon ward wrote:
> To All;
>
> I just created the disk for FreeBSD and got my other laptop to boot up
>under FreeBSD.  I need some help in accessing the hard drive and the cdrom.  I
>tried to create a directory for the CDROM and the hdd1.  Then tried to mount
>using those directories.  It did not access my hard drive or the cdrom.
>The question is what do I need to do to gain access to these two drives?
>
> Also does anyone out there have the source code and makefile for vi?
>That is the editor I have used on other Unix systems.  You may have guessed that I was not a root super user :-)

Assuming you get your hard drive situation fixed up, you shouldn't
need anything else to run vi(1).  It's installed by default in
/usr/bin, so my guess is that if you get your /usr partition
available to the system, you'll be fine.  If all you've got available
is /, then I feel your pain, for ed(1) and red(1) are somewhat
"like kicking dead whales down the beach" compared to something
more modern... :-)

Like someone else wrote, send us the output of "mount"
and a description of how you're attempting to mount your
filesystems, the relevant parts of your dmesg, etc.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.