How To Upgrade to Perl 5.8 on 4.9 System?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Mar 24 04:53:22 PST 2004

On Mar 23, 2004, at 8:41 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>> I'm using 4.9-RELEASE.  Is is possible to upgrade Perl from the
>> default 5.005 version to 5.8.2?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Are there any steps required beyond installing the port?
>
> Try:
>
> cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
> make install
> use.perl port

I also had to re-install some of my ports after installing the new Perl
and switching the system perl to the newer version (4.9-release-p3).
Otherwise I saw failures when I restarted Perl applications...

Dunno if a reboot would have fixed it, but I noticed that when I did a
make deinstall, make clean, then make install of the ports that acted
up, part of the messages mentioned the newer version of PERL :-)

Just a note in case you run into the problems I did...maybe I did
something wrong in the process, but this worked amid the rising feeling
of panic :-)