How To Upgrade to Perl 5.8 on 4.9 System?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Tue Mar 23 16:50:37 PST 2004

I'm using 4.9-RELEASE.  Is is possible to upgrade Perl from the default
5.005 version to 5.8.2?  I've searched Google but was unable to find
anything definitive.  Are there any steps required beyond installing the
port?  I saw a response by Kris Kennaway regarding -CURRENT
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-February/020645.html).
  But if one follows the thread there are some conflicting posts so I
remain confused.

I'm willing to read and would appreciate any links or advice.

Thanks,

Drew