disconnecting keyboard: big trouble !?!

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Tue Mar 23 12:54:24 PST 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 19.44, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
> > That argument just doesn't hold in home environments or low-budget colo
> > environments.
>
> If you're low-budget, buy another keyboard!

And have ten+ keyboards in the rack? At home? It's a pain. And even with ten
keyboards it's a pain having to reboot a machine just because the keyboard
died or because the cabling needs to be re-arranged.

> FreeBSD should not be working around user's bad practices.
> It has *always* been a bad idea to hot-plug PS/2 peripherals, and
> until USB is the norm, will continue to be the case.

Again I've never heard of anyone running into any kind of problems due to
this. And someone else recently posted about not being able to find any
conclusive information on this info at all while googling. So really I don't
consider it bad practice at all, since I have never heard of a failure, nor
seen any concrete evidence why it would actually be bad.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org