modifying makefiles

Joshua Lokken joshua at twobirds.us
Tue Mar 23 11:49:51 PST 2004

* Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at apropo.ro> [2004-03-23 07:45]:
> Tadimeti Keshav <keshav_tadimeti at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > hi
> > SInce I am behind a modem, I downloaded my fav ports
> >
> > Some of the makefiles in the ports target a higer
> > version of the application than I have, and some the
> > lower version.
> > I made the changes in the makefile and adjusted the
> > MD5 values in the distinfo file, but make fails in the
> > patch section. Is there a way around this (i know it
> > is ugly) other than downloading from the net?
>
> What you did can not work.

Right.

> cvsup for forts doesn't take much even on modem.

The initial cvsup will take a little while, but after that, cvsupping
via dial-up is no problem.

I am constrained by dial-up at home, and while I no longer have the
"instant gratification" I had with cable (and yes, distfiles do take
awhile to download), I am able to live with fetching ports via
dial-up, however, for something really big (XFree86, etc.) you may
want to fetch the distfiles from a faster machine.

--
Joshua

Women are more easily and more deeply terrified ... generating more
sheer horror than the male of the species.
		-- Spock, "Wolf in the Fold", stardate 3615.4