Sendmail deferred email?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 09:58:24 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 12:46:32PM -0500, JJB wrote:
> I see in mail log some deferred email being held.
> Is there a way to clear this email from sendmail?

You can process the mail queue manually by:

    # /usr/sbin/sendmail -q -v

or

    # /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -q -v

for the clientmqueue stuff.

(-v means verbose -- you can omit that, but it's kind of amusing to
watch)

> Maybe so sendmail sub command?

If your mail system is set up correctly, there should be a process
that runs regularly (every 30min is usual) to flush the queue.  If you:

    # cat /var/run/sendmail.pid

or

    # cat /var/spool/clientmqueue/sm-client.pid

the second line shows the arguments used to startup sendmail.  There
should be something like '-q30m' in there.

Messages can get stuck in the mail queue for valid reasons --
destination site is down, DNS fubarred, loss of network connectivity
etc.  Use:

    # mailq -v

or

    # mailq -Ac -v

to see the status of all messages in the mail queue or the client mail
queue.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way