special characters, ie spanish accents

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Tue Mar 23 09:05:45 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 10:57:57PM -0800, chip wrote:
> >> How do I get the special characters to work, which work in MS
> >> Windoze using the conbination of right-alt+4digit code? I need to
> >> be able to use certain accents and characters found in spanish
> >> writing. I am using FBSD-5.1 with XFCE window manager.
> >
> > This may be of limited use to you, but the vim editor has this ability
> > built-in (if compiled that way).  To see what's available, start a vim
> > session and type ':help digraphs'.
> >
> > --
> > David Fleck
> > david.fleck at mchsi.com
>

> Thanks for the tip. I just gave that a try and it works fine, a little
> cumbersome though. But I'm sure I can get used to it. :)
> --
> Chip

There is more than one way to get diacritic marks working in X.  For my
part, since I generally only need a few marks (like you Spanish ones) I
used xmodmap.  I put a file in my home directory called .xmodmaprc and
then in my .xinitrc (or .xsession if you use xdm and friends) I added
the line:

xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

My .xmodmaprc file contains the following:

clear mod4
keycode 115 = Mode_switch
keycode 10 = 1 exclam exclamdown
keycode 26 = e E eacute Eacute
keycode 31 = i I iacute Iacute
keycode 32 = o O oacute Oacute
keycode 38 = a A aacute Aacute
keycode 57 = n N ntilde Ntilde
keycode 61 = slash question questiondown

This allows me to make use of the otherwise useless "windows" keys on my
keyboard.  On my systems keycode 115 is the left "windows" key (referred
to as keysym Super_L in X).  So, if I press Super_L-e I get ``é'' and so
on and so forth.

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49