maxproc is automatically adjusted?

Mipam mipam at ibb.net
Tue Mar 23 07:43:54 PST 2004

Thanks, i read it.
I also found this:

# The `maxusers' parameter controls the static sizing of a number of
# internal system tables by a formula defined in subr_param.c.
# Omitting this parameter or setting it to 0 will cause the system to
# auto-size based on physical memory.

And looking at some source files:

maxusers = physpages / (2 * 1024 * 1024 / PAGE_SIZE)

PAGE_SIZE is the amount of swap as reported in pfstat -s?
I wasnt able to find out what physpages are only this:

void        init_param2(long physpages);

But that still didnt give me a clue what it shoud represent, any hints
here?

maxproc = physpages / 12;
maxprocperuid = (maxproc * 9) / 10;

Would physpages be the amount of available RAM?
In my case with 512 MB of RAM I'll get kern.maxproc: 4036
So in my case physpages is 49032?
Bye,

Mipam.