tell sendmail to use a different dns server?

Zhang Weiwu weiwuzhang at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 23 06:30:33 PST 2004

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

>> provide dns service, on which every computer in the LAN has a local
>> domain name (computername.our.lan)

MX

>> type of record. Thus sending mail using sendmail always get hostname
>> lookup failure.

>> server, I cannot access lan computers using local hostnames.

>> the rest programs use local dns server?
>> I just realized I can do this in resolve.conf:
>> ====
>> # our LAN's dns server
>> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>> # ISP
>> nameserver 202.101.103.54
>>
>> Hope this is the best method.

But this works on my notebook but not on my desktop computer, both 5.2
RELEASE

dino is my desktop computer:
dino# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search realss
nameserver 192.168.0.138
nameserver 202.101.103.54
dino# host -t mx hotmail.com
Host not found, try again.

thinkpad is my notebook:
thinkpad# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search realss
nameserver 192.168.0.138
nameserver 202.101.103.54
thinkpad# host -t mx hotmail.com
hotmail.com mail is handled (pri=5) by mx4.hotmail.com
hotmail.com mail is handled (pri=5) by mx1.hotmail.com
hotmail.com mail is handled (pri=5) by mx2.hotmail.com
hotmail.com mail is handled (pri=5) by mx3.hotmail.com