tell sendmail to use a different dns server?

Zhang Weiwu weiwuzhang at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 23 05:40:55 PST 2004

Hello. I'm using the dns service on a router box. This router does provide
dns service, on which every computer in the LAN has a local domain name
(computername.our.lan)

Now the built in dns server's function is limited; it does not relay MX
type of record. Thus sending mail using sendmail always get hostname lookup
failure.

1. If I change my name server address in resolv.conf to use my ISP's dns
server, I cannot access lan computers using local hostnames.
2. If I use our dns server, I cannot send mails through sendmail.

So what should I do? Can I ask sendmail to use ISP's dns server, while the
rest programs use local dns server?