disconnecting keyboard: big trouble !?!

Rob nospam at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 22 21:18:33 PST 2004

Hi,

For some reason, I needed to borrow the keyboard from my FreeBSD PC
(running 4.9 STABLE). So I disconnected the keyboard.

When I reconnected it some time later, the system refused to use the
keyboard. Key hits were totally ignored.

I had to brutally reset my PC to get it back to work properly again.
What else could I have done, if I can't type a single command anymore ?!?

Isn't this silly?
Can I configure my PC, so that a reconnected keyboard will work again
automatically?

Thanks,
Rob.

PS: If there's no local solution to the problem above, would it then be
of help to have access by remote login? If so, what command can I then use
to bring my console keyboard back to life again.