Top posting

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Sun Mar 21 18:28:10 PST 2004

At 2004-03-22T01:23:45Z, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at freebsd.org> writes:

>> DO Unix mail clients have some option to config them to top post?

> No.

Kmail, for one, offers that as an option.  I started doing that at work
after my boss explained that interleaved-trimmed posting is difficult to
read.

I think the main difference between top- and interleaved-posting is one of
latency.  In an office environment, when you're replying within 2 minutes of
receipt of a typically short message, top posting is reasonable.  On Usenet
and mailing lists, where you see large, complex questions that get discussed
over the span of days and weeks, interleaved posting is the only format that
remotely makes sense.
--
Kirk Strauser

"94 outdated ports on the box,