configure CUPS without web interface problem

Zhang Weiwu weiwuzhang at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 01:16:43 PST 2004

Hello. I just installed cups on my old P160MMX desktop computer, the
printer is Canon S100 on usb0. Now I need to configure the box properly to
print something.

I found this printer's PPD file on LinuxPrinting.org. I followed the
instructions on both LinuxPrintng.org and CUPS software administrator, so
far everything went smooth. Only that both doc suggest me go to
http://localhost:631/admin, but I got connection refused using lynx(1). (I
don't know if I need to run apache or configure inetd for this.)

I managed to go to section 4-3-6 of the manual through command-line, all
things went smooth:
http://www.cups.org/sam.html#4_3_6

According to the manual, it seems so far the printer is properly
configured, ready to print. Here is my status information:

dino# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: S100
device for S100: usb:/dev/ulpt0
S100 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
printer S100 is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
dino# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh status
cups: scheduler is running.
dino# uname -a
FreeBSD dino.realss 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 29 04:29:22
CST 2004     zhangweiwu at dino.realss:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/DINO  i386

So i send a text file to the print:

dino# lpr -PS100 .cshrc
lpr: Unable to connect to /var/run/printer: No such file or directory
lpr: Check to see if the master 'lpd' process is running.
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

It seems I still need to run smothing called lpd? Why? The manual didn't
ask me to do so.

Please help. Thank you.