Do I really need to rebuilding *everything*

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sun Mar 21 00:19:48 PST 2004

In the last episode (Mar 21), Mark said:
> Pardon my daftness, but how is a 'file' against, say, httpd, like this,
>
> file /usr/local/sbin/httpd
> /usr/local/sbin/httpd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
>
> going to tell me whether httpd was dynamically linked against
> OpenSSL, or statically? It just tells me httpd uses shared libraries.
> Or does it mean it ONLY uses shared libraries?

You can also use the "ldd" command to list the specific shlibs linked
by a program, but you can usually assume that if it's dynamically
linked, it has dynamically linked all its libraries too.
Theoretically, a program could have linked directly to
/usr/lib/libssl.a, but most of the time they just use -lssl, which will
prefer shared libraries over static.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com