Do I really need to rebuilding *everything*

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Sat Mar 20 23:08:36 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Nelson" <dnelson at allantgroup.com>
To: "Mark" <admin at asarian-host.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 7:55 AM
Subject: Re: Do I really need to rebuilding *everything*

> > > You only need to rebuild the ports that use the openssl libs
> > > and link statically.  My guess is that would be zero.
> >
> > What do you mean? I built OpenSSL into everything; sendmail,
> > Apache, qpopper, stunnel, php4, mod_perl, etc. Close to the 300
> > of the original poster. :) And like him, I really feel rather upset if
> > I'd have to do it all over again. Or are all of the above
> > dynamically linked?
>
> The file command will indicate whether a program was linked static
> or dynamic.

Pardon my daftness, but how is a 'file' against, say, httpd, like this,

file /usr/local/sbin/httpd
/usr/local/sbin/httpd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

going to tell me whether httpd was dynamically linked against OpenSSL, or
statically? It just tells me httpd uses shared libraries. Or does it mean it
ONLY uses shared libraries?

Thanks,

- Mark