problem with su

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Mar 20 10:43:49 PST 2004

Eric Yellin wrote:

>When I "su -m" and login as root, all I get in the prompt is a % sign. My
>normal user shell is tcsh and the prompt looks like this:
>[eric at www4]/home/eric(29): but this is not kept when I su -m.
>How can I change this?
>Thanks,
>Eric

Seems a tad unusual.  Don't know if I can help,
but can you give me some info?

a. What is root's "shell" entry in /etc/passwd?

b.  From whence do you set your "normal" prompt?  /~/.cshrc?

If the machine is not used by others, a quick
workaround might be to simply copy your .cshrc
to /root/ and simply use "su".  But it does seem
a tad weird that "su -m" seems to be reading some
other resource file...or else my understanding of
"-m" is broken, which is entirely possible.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.