Top posting

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Sat Mar 20 08:27:29 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:41:14PM -0800, Chuck McManis wrote:
> At 03:24 PM 3/19/2004, you wrote:
> >Top-posting may be an opinion, but RFC 1855 makes it _standard_ opinion.
>
> Let's get serious for a minute here. Just because someone wrote up an
> INFORMATIONAL RFC does NOT make it STANDARD. It makes it INFORMATIONAL. Big
> difference. Go look up RFC 2026 for what it takes to become a standard.

Absolutely. I'm very aware of the RFC process.

But bottom-posting has been published as an RFC since Oct of 1995 and
nobody has published any alternative since then. That doesn't make
bottom posting *the* standard, it makes it a standard opinion (as no
contrary opinions have been published).

Of course, now that I've said that karma dictates that somebody is
drafting up an alternative netiquette RFC at this very minute ;-)

-T

--
Draw bamboos for ten years, become a bamboo, then forget all about bamboos
when you are drawing.