The clock is running too fast

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Fri Mar 19 19:14:43 PST 2004

Hi Dan,

The system clock has been running correctly more than 16 hours.

> I'm sorry, I don't know what 'ntc' is.  Do you mean 'ntp'?  You can use ntp
> or not ... if your timing hardware is off, ntp will constantly try to slew
> the time back to where it should be, which will a) mean your systems
> concept of time is very non-linear and b) fill the log with warning
> messages.  It's actually a good check to see if the timer's good (although
> an slmost equally good check is to sit there and look at the clock).

Oh sorry for my typing mistake.  Yes I meant 'ntp'.  It synchronyses the
system clock.  Even if the PC is not running round the clock.  Whenvever you
turn on the PC, it checkes the time and corrects it.  I have it setup on a
Debian PC.;

> I forgot to mention that besides changing /etc/sysctl.conf, you have to
> reboot.  If you don't want to reboot, you will have to do "sysctl
> kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254" at a prompt.  But I'm not sure if that's a
> value that can be set after the system boots.

I have to reboot the PC otherwise the system clock will not be adjusted, still
running on double speed.

> I suggested "i8254" because it's the only device that was supplying good
> time values on my system.  If you have trouble with that device, you might
> also want to try "TSC".

$ dmesg.Thetimeclock
dmesg.Thetimeclock: not found
$ dmesg | grep Timecounter
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
Timecounter "ACPI-safe" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 350796390 Hz quality 800
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec

What are their difference in function between i8254/ACPI-safe/TSC

B.R.
Stephen