which 8-port 10/100 hub is best?

Kurt kurtbuff at spro.net
Fri Mar 19 17:22:43 PST 2004

Sayeth Volpes:

I would suggest advoiding hubs, as switches are uber cheap nodays and
give better performace... multiple collision zones and traffic is not
broadcast to everyone.

I am currently using a Zonet ZFS3008... it is cheap and works
nicely... had one die on me from over heating thought... this on runs
a lot cooler thought. Forget what model the one that died after a year
was, but it had the LEDs on top and the power plug on the opasite side
the the RJ45 connectors.

I have a small nit to pick. There are times when a hub is just the
thing. NTOP and ETHEREAL are my favorite examples for this (especially
in a small environment, when management won't spend for a managed switch
that can mirror/span ports) but there are other reasons as well when you
might want a machine to see all of the traffic coming across the wire.

Kurt