which 8-port 10/100 hub is best?

jdunham at texas.net jdunham at texas.net
Fri Mar 19 17:14:03 PST 2004

On 20 Mar 2004 at 9:01, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday, 18 March 2004 at 22:54:49 -0600, W. D. wrote:
> >
> > If there is a possibility that you will have some heavy traffic
> > at times, the best hub is a switch!  You are likely to have
> > less bandwidth wasting collisions during high traffic periods.
>
> I'd put it more forcibly than that: hubs are obsolete.  You can find
> switches for almost nothing nowadays; don't buy hubs.
>
> And yes, I haven't checked whether the EFAH08W is a switch or a hub.
> But I've never had problems with cheap switches, so I would tend to
> buy by price.

I have had problems with a cheap TrendNet switch.  I no longer recall
the details (except that backups that went through it tended to die),
but it was in a high-traffic location and the problems were fixed by
replacing it with a not-quite-as-cheap D-Link switch.  I compared notes
with another sysadmin at a different local company and found he'd had a
similar experience with the same switch.  I have a different model of
cheap TrendNet switch in a low-traffic location and have had no trouble
with it.

YMMV.

--
Jerry Dunham