Impact of running pkgdb -fu

Dan MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 19 16:56:11 PST 2004

> Kris Kennaway Sent: March 19, 2004 17:46
>
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 05:34:38PM -0700, Dan MacMillan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a question about the effect of running "pkgdb -fu",
> > besides making me laugh because of its whimsically profane
> > command-line options.
> >
> > Suppose I have been running "pkgdb -F" as suggested by
> > portupgrade, and I accidentally delete a stale dependency
> > that should have been handled in another way.  Will
> > rebuilding the package database with "pkgdb -fu" restore
> > this dependency to its pristine, correct state?
>
> No, the dependency was removed from the installed package.  You need
> to explicitly restore it, e.g. by reinstalling it.

Thanks for your reply ... but now I'm a little confused.  The dependencies
are stored in the packages themselves?  Would that be in the tarball in the
/usr/ports/distfiles directory?  Where can I go to learn more about this,
specifically the anatomy of a binary package and the structure of the
package database?

-Dan