I need help mounting a floppy

Willy Dingledorf howdoyouspellabc at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 02:44:17 PST 2004

Gentlemen:

I am a frustrated newbie who has a good back-ground in Microsoft operating-systems, but no experience with FreeBSD.  I have installed various versions of FreeBSD many times on several different computers ... but after a successful install, I keep running into brick-walls.

My most recent failure came after down-loading and installing FreeBSD version 5.2

I have been unable to mount the floppy-disk.

I have tried typing various commands that I found in different books, and also some that I found in the Help-files (that I down-loaded from the FreeBSD Web-site).

Here are some examples (none of which work):

# fdformat /dev/fd0
fdformat: open(/dev/fd0): No such file or directory

# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
mount: /dev/fd0: No such file or directory

# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
msdosfs: /dev/fd0: No such file or directory

#mount_msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
mount_msdos: command not found

Or, if you would rather that I take the "fstab" approach ... yes, I have tried that too ... and failed.  Here are some examples (none of which work):

I edited the fstab-file by inserting the following lines (each one, in turn):

/dev/fd0   /floppy  msdos     rw,noauto  0  0
/dev/fd0   /floppy  msdosfs  rw             0  0

No matter what lines I tried, the result was always similar to this:

# mount /floppy
msdosfs /dev/fd0: No such file or directory

If it looks like I do not know what I am doing ... that is exactly right.  If I type something-in and it does not work ... I do not have any idea why ... and I have no idea how to invent some new words to type.

Can some-one help me ?  (And remember ... before you ask for my boot-log ... I cannot mount the floppy ... so I don't know how to get a text-file out of that machine).

Willy

Do you Yahoo!?