Root password not responding

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Mar 18 10:44:56 PST 2004

Yoo, Gene wrote:
> However, recently the root usner name and password, when entered
> correctly or incorrectly, does not login.  It gives me the message of
> Incorrect password or usnername.  Why has this suddenly started
> occurring and how do I fix this?

Change the line containing "PermitRootLogin" to yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config,
and restart sshd on that machine.

It's better from the standpoint of security to always log in as a normal user
and su (or run sudo), which is why root login via SSH is disabled by default.
  However, there are circumstances where logging in as root is convenient...

--
-Chuck