cdrom mount problem

Chris bsdnewbie at coolarrow.com
Thu Mar 18 09:24:12 PST 2004

>> In summary: the only way to mount my cdrom after burning an ISO
>> is to reboot first.

>Try ejecting and re-loading the disk.
>I've seen some firmware that gets confused easily in these cases...

I use the CDRW to burn backup files every night via cron, so driving to the machine (45 min away) and cycling the drive is not feasible. Further, this was never an issue with 4.x releases, and if I'm not mistaken, 5.1 either. I think this started somewhere with 5.2 and beyond.

>You first have to unmount the cdrom before you can mount
>a new cd, you can do that by typing:
>umount /cdrom

Normally it's not in a mounted state after burning, as best I recall. But I've tried that several times anyway, to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion.

>Looks like bug. Submit problem report on it, is only way it will be
>looked at and fixed by 5.x development team.

This is possible, I guess. Makes since, as this problem cropped up after upgrading. I could be wrong, but it seems that since mount does not do anything different from the point just before reboot and just after reboot, perhaps it's more likely the burncd command not "releasing" the cdrw drive properly, or something like that...

Thanks,
Chris

Email harvesters eat this: sendjunkmailhere at coolarrow.com