Sysinstall, install.cfg, unable to find device node

Jacob Atzen jaa at interflow.dk
Thu Mar 18 02:59:28 PST 2004

Hello all,

I am trying to make an automatic install procedure of a FreeBSD 5.2.1.
I'm booting from the 5.2.1-miniiso and then I insert a floppy containing
my install.cfg. Then I select the "Load config" menuitem from sysinstall
and run the install.cfg. It then perform some network operations but
halts shortly after with the following error message:

"Unable to find device node for /dev/aacd0s2b in /dev!"

The Debug console is telling me this:

DEBUG: Scanning disk aacd0 for swap partitions
DEBUG: Found swapdev at aacd0s2b!

I've noticed that the slice created by my install.cfg get a partition
subtype 3 and not 165 as one would expect. If I examine the labels
through the sysinstall menu it seems as if they're created.

If I try to manually delete the created labels and manually creates some
new ones I get the same error. But if I delete the created slice and
afterwards creates the labels things seems to be alright.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

My install.cfg is as follows (some of the comments have been wrapped
but are as they should be in the original file):

# ========================================================
# FreeBSD Unattended Install Sample install.cfg
# Provided by http://bsdhound.com
# ========================================================

# Turn on extra debugging.
debug=YES

# Initialize all variables to their defaults, overriding any previous
settings.
installVarDefaults

# ========================================================
# Networking Information
# ========================================================
hostname=goodman
domainname=interflow.dk
# DHCP Server Should take care of below
nameserver=192.168.1.1
defaultrouter=192.168.1.1
ipaddr=192.168.1.115
netmask=255.255.255.0

#ntpdate_flags=-b ntp.lth.se
#configNTP

# ========================================================
# Which installation method to use
# ========================================================
# FTP
_ftpPath=ftp://ftp.dk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/
netDev=em0
mediaSetFTP
# NFS
#mediaSetNFS
#nfs=MyNfsServer:/export/ari_scratch2/gallatin/freebsd-dist

# ========================================================
# Select which distributions we want.
# ========================================================
dists= bin doc catpages dict info crypto ports

#THE INFORMATION ABOVE HERE SHOULD BE ON 1 LINE.

distSetCustom

# ========================================================
# Set the parameters for the partition editor
# ========================================================
# ad = IDE, da = SCSI
disk=aacd0

# Enable this for interactive fdisk
# If you plan on using this on various other machies
# it might be wise to enable the interactive fdisk and
# disklabel
#diskInteractive

# Change this to "all" if this is a server, we don't want any
multi-booting rubbish on our servers
partition=free
bootManager=boot

diskPartitionEditor

# ========================================================
# - All sizes are expressed in 512 byte blocks!
# - "Size in MB" = sectors * 512 / 1024 / 1024
# - "Number of blocks" = xsize in mb * 1024 * 1024 / 512
# The non-zero value after the mountpoint means enable soft updates
# ========================================================

# 256MB UFS root
aacd0s2-1=ufs 524288 /

# 1024MB SWAP aacd0s2b
aacd0s2-2=swap 2097152 none

# 256MB UFS aacd0s2e
aacd0s2-3=ufs 524288 /var 1

# 256MB UFS aacd0s2f
aacd0s2-4=ufs 524288 /tmp 1

# Rest of FreeBSD partition aacd0s2g
aacd0s2-5=ufs 0 /usr 1

diskLabelEditor

# OK, everything is set.  Do it!
installCommit

# ========================================================
# Install some packages at the end.
# ========================================================
#package=BitchX-1.0c19_3
#packageAdd

# ========================================================
# this last package is special.  It is used to configure the machine.
# it installs several files (like /root/.rhosts) an its installation
# script tweaks several options in /etc/rc.conf
# ========================================================
#package=ari-0.0
#packageAdd

# In case of any problem with the script we enable remote access now
and set a temporary root password
command="echo rc_conf_files="/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.local" >>
/etc/rc.conf"
system
command="echo keymap="danish.iso" >> /etc/rc.conf"
system
command="echo keyrate="fast" >> /etc/rc.conf"
system
command="echo sshd_enable="YES" >> /etc/rc.conf"
system
command="echo 'devilinside' | /usr/sbin/pw usermod -u root -h 0"
system

command=/sbin/reboot
system

--