downmix wave file from stereo to mono

Zhang Weiwu weiwuzhang at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 18 00:45:50 PST 2004

Today I got a simple job to convert a 600MB stereo .wav file to mono .wav
file. Very simple task.

First I read the lame(1) manual carefully, and decide it cannot help. I
tried to install several sound editor, glame tried to pull down the gtk1
library and depended packages, so stopped it. audacity takes too long time
to compile (still doing now). I tried sweep, and it hung my machine; it
seems trying to load the whole wave file into memory. I find xwava compiles
correctly, runs okay, but it can do downmix "only when the file fits
memory". I also tried several other ports I don't remember now. Now I
worked the whole afternoon without any progress.

I think there must be some handy tools can do this. On audio port directory
I tried
make search key=mono
make search key=downmix
Both returned nothing.

So what do you suggest me to use?

If this happens to be your situation, dudes, how do you find a handy tool
quickly? I don't want to waste time on such jobs in future again.