Installing FreeBSD 5.2 on a COMPAQ Proliant Server

scion+fbsdq at webrelay.net scion+fbsdq at webrelay.net
Wed Mar 17 15:20:30 PST 2004

From: Gennady Levine <levineg at med.govt.nz>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:45:13 +1300

>I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.2 on a compaq proliant dual P-Pro-200MHz
>server but can't even get the install cd to boot properly,
>it hangs during the boot with the following error:
>	ida0: <Compaq SMART-2/E array controller...>
>	panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: c327f000
>	cpuid=0

Just had a similar problem.  I'm not at all sure that we have the
same problem, as I don't have the smartarray controller.  But I
was advised (on this list, check recent archives to and from me)
to use the SmartStart CD and reset the OS to linux.

Not having a SmartStart CD, I d/led the sys config util from HP
and used that to reset the bios.  *Then* I had to use the same
kit to say "the next thing I'm going to do after a reboot is
install a new OS."  Else, no matter how I held my head or which
creative invectives I used, the system would hang/panic just after
probing the internal SCSI controllers.

-sam