remote restart of natd

Saint Aardvark the Carpeted aardvark at saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com
Tue Mar 16 21:19:42 PST 2004

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN disturbed my sleep to write:
> Is there a way to restart natd remotely without disconnecting myself
> using freebsd 4.9 stable.  Have been playing around with the natd.conf
> file and would like to see if it works or not and do not want to reboot
> EVER.!!!!!! or be disconnected

If I'm doing this, or testing the firewall while not at the box, I
usually set up something in cron or at(1) to do something like:

	/sbin/ipfw add 10 allow all from [my IP address] to [the box's ip address]

Set it up to go off in a few minutes, and that should give you a backup
plan.

HTH,
Hugh

--