4.4-RELEASE as a NAT/gateway

Matt Coe, CCNA webmaster at jargonccna.cjb.net
Tue Mar 16 18:35:50 PST 2004

Hey, I'm having some issues convincing my old Pentium 90 to behave as a
basic NAT box and gateway.. I've been a CCNA for nearly three years now
and I still haven't had a chance to properly play with other people's
networks, so I'm trying to make my own... but to no avail. I downloaded
the 5.x manual to help me set up the config files and install the
appropriate ports, but the machine doesn't seem to want to forward
packets. ipfw kicks in fine, natd seems to kick in fine.. I can
hand-boot routed and that seems to behave properly.. but nothing goes
from dc0 to rl0, for some reason beyond me. Here's a snippet of my
rc.conf if it helps:

ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
ifconfig_dc0="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway_enable=YES
natd_enable=YES
natd_interface=rl0
natd_flags=""
firewall_enable=YES
firewall_type=OPEN

Is there any thing wrong with those lines? I could type out my entire
rc.conf if it's necessary... Anyone else have similar problems?

--
Matt Coe, CCNA
Member-At-Large, Dalhousie University CS Society Fall 2003

'Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk
to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out.'
  -- DNA, 'The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy', Arthur Philip Dent

Sick of long-distance bills? Get Skype! www.skype.com