After xwindow is up.

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Tue Mar 16 17:22:12 PST 2004

[ should I have CC'd this to ports@ instead?]

On Monday 15 March 2004 22:41, you wrote:
> hello everyone, Thanks for answers,
>
> Danny Wrote:
> > For Flash you'll probably want to install www/linux-flashplugin6 and
> > the www/linuxpluginwrapper ports.
>
> flashplugin6 has been installed fine,, but when i try to install
> /linuxpluginwrapper It says I didnot enable libmap.conf! but this file
> doesnot exist in my box.

You have to create it in /etc/libmap.conf. Safest bet is to copy the
example shown in the port's message. Maybe you need to change
the path for flash.

Mine looks like this (ignore the first two lines, it's temporary and
with 5.1 it doesn't concern you -- you might need it if updating
from 5.1 to "5.3" later though when rebuilding ports):

libc_r.so.5             	libpthread.so.1 # Everything that uses 'libc_r'
libc_r.so               	libpthread.so   # now uses 'libpthread'

# Flash6 with Opera is not avilable.

# Flash6 with Konqueror (temporary setting)
[/usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so]
libpthread.so.0                 	liblthread.so.3
libdl.so.2                      		pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libz.so.1                       		libz.so.2
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3        	liblstdc++.so.4
libm.so.6                       		libm.so.2
libc.so.6                       		pluginwrapper/flash6.so

# Flash6 with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany
[/usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so]
libpthread.so.0                 	liblthread.so.3
libdl.so.2                      		pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libz.so.1                       		libz.so.2
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3        	liblstdc++.so.4
libm.so.6                       		libm.so.2
libc.so.6                       		pluginwrapper/flash6.so

# Acrobat with Opera
#[/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/nppdf.so]
#libc.so.6                      		pluginwrapper/acrobat.so

# Acrobat with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany
#[/usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so]
#libc.so.6                      		pluginwrapper/acrobat.so

Acrobat always freezes -- this might be solved by now -- but I always
use the KDE plugin for PDFs and it works fine and looks better.

> After linux-flashplugin6 I found the file libflashplayer.so and I added as
> a path in konqueror browser (Configure -> Plugins) and I click on scan, but
> it doesnot scan and says "nspluginscan excutable cannot be found - netscape
> plugin cant be scaned"

Mmmm. Could you try running 'whereis nspluginscan'. If it shows nothing than
apparently the package you used doesn't include motif/nsplugin support in
kdebase. That would be quite bad! Standard port build does include it as far
as I know, or it may depend on whether you already have motif/lesstiff
libraries. If this is indeed the problem, you can build kdebase from ports
and you should also report to kde at freebsd.org that plugin support is missing
in the package. It should be in there. I remember having an email exange with
a gentleman who had the same problem, but he was building from ports. Perhaps
a motif dependency on kdebase is needed to ensure nsplugin support.

As much as we all hate them ;-), plugins are important if only for flash which
only works as a plugin. Java with konqueror works through a KPart and not
through the nsplugin method.

For what it's worth I have:

% pkg_info | grep motif
open-motif-2.2.2_2  Motif X11 Toolkit (industry standard GUI (IEEE 1295))

I don't know if I got that when building KDE or if I had it before. It is
needed for rendering Linux plugins that use motif.

> Path I added is "/usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so"

I have just /usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/

> Shall I install netscape? If i do so, does it work fine with this stuff? or
> same?
>
> In File associations I cannot see anything called netscape plugin.
> I would appreciate if you help me more in this issue,

OK, taking into account the above, the nsplugins appear as a choice for
"embedded" playing, that is the second tab in the right side pane in Konq's
config dialog. So you click the mime type and then "embedding" on the right.
In that tab, if you click "add" you get a list of KParts and some other
embedded things perhaps, one of them is "Netscape plugin viewer (nsplugin)".

If you don't see this at all, that might be another hint that your package may
not have nsplugin support at all.

> And i thanks your previous help

You're welcome. Would be better if it would work though :)

I'm currently rebuilding all of KDE to update to 3.2.1 and get over the libc_r
-> libpthread name change on -CURRENT as of a week ago, I can't provide you
with working packages for 5.1.

I'd like to add that KDE 3.2+ is /very/ fast on -CURRENT or basically 5.2+ULE
(self built 2001 single processor desktop box, 1.5GHz Intel IV, Asus P4B
mobo, 512 MB RAM, Via chipset, Maxtor ATA100 drive). It never has been this
snappy with 3.1 or earlier.

HTH,

Dan