Booting Compaq 1850R WasRe: 5.2.1 miniinst cd panic during 3rd phase boot (kernel start).

scion+fbsdq at webrelay.net scion+fbsdq at webrelay.net
Tue Mar 16 06:59:39 PST 2004

From: scion+fbsdq at webrelay.net
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:29:51 -0500

>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:47:32 +0100
>From: kybu <kybu at aurius.sk>

>>SCN> I haven't seen anything in the PR list or -questions just like this.
>>
>>SCN> My Compaq 1850 (2x PII-450, 1GByte Ram) boots up the 5.2.1-release
>>SCN> miniinst cdrom just fine, loads the kenel, and just after waiting
>>SCN> for SCSI devices to settle, panics.
>>
>>SCN> It does this with or without devices on the scsi bus.
>>
>>SCN> Anyone else have one of these critters working with 5.x?  Otherwise,
>>SCN> anyone else have the same/a similar symptom?
>>
>>Yeah, I got similar problem on Compaq 1650. I just change the OS
>>system type with SmartStart CD to Linux and then it works fine.
>>

>Thanks, it almost worked...At least I got past discovering disks.
>Now, when booting, it goes past discovering disks, and indicates
>/stand/sysinstall is starting on vty0.
>
>After that no joy.  I'm thinking that the vga or keyboard isn't
>jiving with the vty system, and that it is running fine, but not
>where I can see it.

Well, the config utility was indeed the key.  Turned out that after
I booted from the utility partition, which is created with the config
utility <http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html>,
and selected the "install OS - other" the system stopped, then the
freebsd install completed without a hitch.

-sam