ClamAV Log Rotation (WAS: Antivirus suggestion...)

Jonathan T. Sage sagejona at theatre.msu.edu
Mon Mar 15 14:15:34 PST 2004

Hope this is of some use:

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

>>> I have been seeing several posts to the clamav-users list about it
>>> happening, that once it hits the quota limit for the logfile size
>>> that it will stop working.  Has it happened to me yet? no...my
>>> logfile hasn't reached the 5 meg limit yet :-)
>>> I do need to find a way to rotate the log though.  I'm just waiting
>>> to find someone that can say "yes, I'm running clamav, and using
>>> newsyslog to rotate the log, here's the line I use in the conf file
>>> to do it and here's the line I use in the clamav.conf file to get it
>>> to work..."

  > Hey, if you get a working rotation configuration for Clamd, please do
> share! :-)  I've got a production server holding it's own in proving
> open source software is a viable alternative to the commercial fellas
> for our school district, and I don't need to have our mail system go
> belly up because of an overgrown logfile :-)

Clamd log rotation:

first and foremost, make sure that clamav is gonna drop a pidfile.  in
/usr/local/etc/clamav.conf, uncomment:

# This option allows you to save the process identifier of the listening
# daemon (main thread).
PidFile /var/run/clamd.pid

then, add the following (one line) to /etc/newsyslog.conf

/var/log/clamd.log 			644  3     *    $W0D1 BJ \
     /var/run/clamd.pid  1

this will rotate the log once a week, keep 3 of them (current log +3
weeks).  it will also compress the old one with bzip2 and SIGHUP the
clamd process.  seems to work just fine for me, running clamav-devel on
-current (Mar 3 or so right now)

~j

--
Jonathan T. Sage