- Installation -

Francesco Pistolesi franciskom at tin.it
Mon Mar 15 07:53:04 PST 2004

Hi, I'm an italian user.

Yesterday I've tried to install FreeBSD in an old and empty 486.
I've downloaded the floppies and I've made the images
kern.flp e mfsroot.flp .

I've switched-on the pc with kern.flp floppy inside....
at a point the computer has asked to insert mfsroot.....

After a few minutes I've seen on the screen:

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:fd(0,a)/boot/loader
boot:

e poi

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:fd(0,a)/kernel
boot:
No kernel

What I have to do to continue?
I've an HD and a floppy....no a CD-Rom reader....
BOOT see the units as
disk0 --> floppy
disk1 --> hard disk

I've read that the relationship between BIOS and FreeBSD about the units is different.
I need to know how I can continue the installation and what is the function of the image
boot.flp of 2,8 Mb and finally, what I need apart the floppies
kern
mfsroot

Thanks a lot