Two-way Sync of Directories - how? (rsync?)

Steven N. Fettig freebsd at stevenfettig.com
Sun Mar 14 21:41:26 PST 2004

-P appears to allow you to show progress graphically with the -v switch
also chosen.

I think his example:

cd $directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP ./ $remote:$directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP $remote:$directory/ .

was meant to look like:

cd $directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP ./ $remote:$directory
rsync -e ssh -vaurP $remote:$directory ./ <-- (dot)(slash) not (slash)(space)(dot)

a trailing slash copies directory contents whereas not having the slash copies that directory, too.  (I.E. if I am rsyncing /home/me on two machines, /home/me will copy everything including the me directory, whereas /home/me/ will only copy the contents of me.  This becomes important - as I have learned the hard way - when syncronizing two dissimilar directories - i.e. /home/me to /backup/me/date.)

hth,
Steve Fettig

p.s.  I hope I got Bill's message correctly...