After xwindow is up.

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Mar 13 19:35:27 PST 2004

Marwan Sultan wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>   Im new to Xwindow system, im using Kde, with FBSD-5.1R
>
>   Installation of xserver and kde, everything went fine, and works great
>   I had few small troubles, I would appreciate if someone could give me
>   some notices/hints what I should do, or install after this point.
>
>   Just now the installation finished, i checked few webpages,
>   and few doesnt work,
>
>   Flash / Java not supported? If yes How to do so and enable it?
>   Other languages? how to enable it? Turkish/Arabic?

What browser are you using?  This is a
browser-specific issue.  I can say that it's
likely that Flash and Java are supported
if Flash and/or Java haven't been installed
and configured on your machine....

>   When everything done, I could go to my KDE window from root access.
>   but when I use my user access, it doesnt go to KDE, and just comes back
>   to the xwindow (the small 3 terminal windows).
>   Should I do something to enable it?

Probably you have "exec twm" in your startup
files ....how are you starting X in the first place?

If you are using "startx" from the commandline,
then you should *probably* add an "exec kde"
(or kde-session or whatever the real name is ...
I use Gnome) to your ~/.xinitrc, and comment
out whatever line is actually calling the other
windowmanager....

It is also possible to configure the machine
to run xdm/gdm/kdm (K display manager)
from /etc/ttys or as a daemon....

>   Any Advises after this stage?
>
>   Thank you very much.